For some financial advisors, attracting clients was never easy. But even advisors who had success historically are today finding that attracting new clients has become more challenging. In particular, referrals from existing clients, once the principle driver of new clients for many advisors, have dropped relative to past levels.
Insights that Work Today The workshop will outline strategies that top performing U.S. and Canadian advisors are using today to fuel the growth of their businesses. Among the concepts that will be covered:
• The hot buttons that motivate clients to move
• Differentiating yourself on the value that you provide to clients
• Why a specialist positioning can help you become a magnet for clients
• Developing a pipeline of prospective clients
• Capitalizing on community activity without appearing opportunistic
• A comfortable approach to referrals that maintains your professionalism
• Understanding the role of social media
• The flywheel effect – developing new client momentum
• Building a business development mindset
• Getting buy-in from your team
Increasing Engagement A number of strategies will be used to ensure that participants stay engaged through the workshop:
• The workshop will feature results of a three minute survey that all participants will be asked to complete in advance of the workshop, with 10 questions on key aspects of the client development process.
• Participants will be seated at tables of four, with frequent breaks for small group exercises.
• Through the morning, each advisor will develop an action plan from the content covered.
Translating Ideas into Action Almost every advisor has attended presentations featuring ideas on attracting new clients – and in many cases walked away enthused and excited by those ideas. Despite that, only rarely have these advisors succeeded in translating the ideas they heard into action. This workshop will squarely address how to implement new ideas, using proven strategies to increase the odds of successfully changing how advisors operate. A key part of this will be 60 minute follow up webinars offered 30 and 90 days after the initial workshop.
Track Record of Success The workshop will be delivered by Dan Richards, a faculty member at the Rotman School of Management and industry veteran with 30 years of experience in helping financial advisors attract new clients. In the fall of 2017, Dan delivered a well-received workshop for an Advocis conference. And last year he wrote an award winning article, titled Why Successful Advisors Are Exiting the Business.